Thanksgiving Menus By State

thanksgiving menus by stateBeing from south Louisiana, it's no surprise to me that most of the foods we eat and see on restaurant menus aren't typically offered or even known in other parts of the country.  That got me thinking.  Our food is so different and unique, so what about Thanksgiving?  We make southern specific dishes that we consider common, but really isn't anywhere outside of the boot state.   I mean we still eat turkey and potatoes like everyone else (who doesn't like turkey and potatoes!?) but then there are the unique dishes specific to our region. The same goes for other states.  What do y'all always have on your menu that may not be known anywhere else?  I'm really curious about this, so I'm going to list the top dishes that are present every year at our family Thanksgiving gathering.  I'm curious to hear what you've never heard of and what's a must have at your family Thanksgiving that could be considered unique to your home town and state.  Let's see just how (food) sheltered we really are!


My family's Thanksgiving menu :

M A I N  D I S H
Fried Turkey
Baked Ham
File' Gumbo

S I D E S
Stuffed Mirliton
Crawfish Pie
Shrimp Pie
Sweet Potato Casserole
Green Bean Casserole
Corn Bread Casserole
Oyster Dressing
Corn Bread Dressing
Corn Grits
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Stuffing
Corn
Beets

D E S S E R T S
Pralines
Pecan Pie
Apple Pie


So tell me.  How many any of these dishes just sound weird to you?  What are some of the unique dishes on your family's menu?

With all of this food talk, I'm getting hungry!  Have a happy Thanksgiving y'all!  Enjoy your time with family and friends and try not too eat too much, or do, the choice is yours!  I pick option two.

I'm in Louisiana, so if you're not following me on Instagram, you're going to miss the southern food and fun party!

Labels: , ,